News for 'bastar region'

'Maoists Will Be Extinct In 2 Months'

'Maoists Will Be Extinct In 2 Months'

Rediff.com9 Jan 2026

'From every point of view, they have faced an extremely difficult couple of years, and the setback they have suffered is irreversible.' 'This reality has begun to set in even amongst the top-level cadres. That is why, in recent times, we have witnessed a huge number of senior-level cadres emerging from the jungle and deciding to renounce violence and join the mainstream.'

Security forces recapture Naxal-occupied hill after 9 days

Security forces recapture Naxal-occupied hill after 9 days

Rediff.com1 May 2025

A hill with an altitude of 5,000 feet, once a hub of the Maoists along the Chhattisgarh-Telangana border, was reclaimed by the security forces after driving out the extremists following nine days of intense anti-Naxal operation, official sources said.

28 Maoists killed in Bastar; AK-47, SLR recovered: ANI

28 Maoists killed in Bastar; AK-47, SLR recovered: ANI

Rediff.com5 Oct 2024

As many as 14 Maoists were killed in an encounter with security personnel in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region on Friday, a senior police official said. However, ANI has put the toll at 30.

Top Maoist ideologue Sudhakar killed in Chhattisgarh encounter

Top Maoist ideologue Sudhakar killed in Chhattisgarh encounter

Rediff.com5 Jun 2025

Originally hailing from Andhra Pradesh, the 67-year-old was involved in indoctrination and radicalization of youth and also responsible for numerous Maoist attacks in Chhattisgarh, resulting in the death of civilians and security personnel, they said.

Historic: Tricolour to be hoisted in Maoist-hit Bastar's 9 villages on R-Day

Historic: Tricolour to be hoisted in Maoist-hit Bastar's 9 villages on R-Day

Rediff.com25 Jan 2024

According to the police, these villages have never seen unfurling or hoisting of the national flag since 1947, but that will change when its residents will join the rest of the country in celebrating Republic Day, which commemorates the day when the Constitution came into effect in 1950.

6 women among 9 Naxals gunned down in Bastar

6 women among 9 Naxals gunned down in Bastar

Rediff.com3 Sep 2024

With this incident, 154 Naxalites have been gunned down by the security forces in different encounters in Chhattisgarh so far this year, the police said.

SC orders preserving body of Maoist commander in fake encounter case

SC orders preserving body of Maoist commander in fake encounter case

Rediff.com26 Sep 2025

The Supreme Court has directed the Chhattisgarh police to preserve the body of top Maoist commander Katha Ramchandra Reddy, who was killed in an alleged fake encounter. The court has instructed that the body not be buried or cremated until the high court decides on the plea alleging a fake encounter and torture.

Diwali returns to Maoist-hit regions after decades of unrest: Modi

Diwali returns to Maoist-hit regions after decades of unrest: Modi

Rediff.com18 Oct 2025

Prime Minister Narendra Modi asserted his commitment to eradicating Maoist terror from India, criticizing the previous Congress regime for allegedly supporting 'urban Naxals' and ignoring the violence they perpetrated. He highlighted the significant reduction in Maoist-affected districts and the surrender of numerous Naxalites as evidence of his government's success in combating the issue.

Shah to review Chhattisgarh anti-Maoist ops during 2-day trip

Shah to review Chhattisgarh anti-Maoist ops during 2-day trip

Rediff.com19 Jun 2025

The meeting will focus on the current internal security scenario in the state, with a special emphasis on anti-Maoist operations, the release added.

Sachin Tendulkar Foundation eyes sports icon from Naxalite area

Sachin Tendulkar Foundation eyes sports icon from Naxalite area

Rediff.com15 Jun 2025

The administration has introduced 'Maidan Cup' in collaboration with the Mann Deshi Foundation and Sachin Tendulkar Foundation, under which 50 playgrounds will be developed in Dantewada to boost sports culture and talent.

Maoists Appeal To Govt: Ceasefire, Ready For Talks

Maoists Appeal To Govt: Ceasefire, Ready For Talks

Rediff.com17 Sep 2025

'We are ready to exchange views with the government, primarily through video call.' 'The government should immediately declare a formal ceasefire for a month, stop search operations and take forward the peace process.'

50 Naxalites surrender ahead of Modi's Chhattisgarh visit

50 Naxalites surrender ahead of Modi's Chhattisgarh visit

Rediff.com30 Mar 2025

The Naxalites, 10 of whom are women, turned themselves in before senior officials of the state police and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), he added.

Maoists call for peace talks as search op in Chhattisgarh enters Day 5

Maoists call for peace talks as search op in Chhattisgarh enters Day 5

Rediff.com25 Apr 2025

A massive anti-Naxal operation involving around 10,000 security personnel along the Chhattisgarh-Telangana border entered its fifth day on Friday, with the Maoists reportedly issuing a statement calling for a halt to the exercise and initiating "peace talks." The statement, circulating on social media, claims that the government is resorting to repression and violence despite the possibility of resolving the issue through dialogue. The operation, considered one of the largest counter-insurgency actions in the Bastar region, involves personnel from various units including the Chhattisgarh police, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), and its elite CoBRA unit. The operation, launched on Monday in the densely forested hills of Karregutta and Durgamgutta along the inter-state border, is aimed at targeting PLGA battalion No. 1, the strongest military formation of the Maoists.

Another top Maoist with Rs 45L bounty killed in Chhattsgarh on Day 2

Another top Maoist with Rs 45L bounty killed in Chhattsgarh on Day 2

Rediff.com7 Jun 2025

This is the third big success in the past fortnight for security forces pushing relentlessly against the Maoists with the aim of ending the menace by March 2026.

Maoist menace nearly over, 258 surrender in two days: Amit Shah

Maoist menace nearly over, 258 surrender in two days: Amit Shah

Rediff.com16 Oct 2025

Union Home Minister Amit Shah announces the surrender of 258 Maoists in Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra, reiterating the government's commitment to eradicating Naxalism by March 2026.

10 Naxalites killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh's Sukma

10 Naxalites killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh's Sukma

Rediff.com22 Nov 2024

Ten Naxalites were killed in an encounter with security personnel in Chhattisgarh's Sukma district on Friday, a senior police official said. The gunfight broke out in the morning in a forest within the jurisdiction of the Bhejji police station when a joint team of security personnel was out on an anti-Naxalite operation. The operation was launched based on inputs about the presence of Maoists belonging to Konta and Kistaram area committees of Naxalites on forested hills of Korajguda, Dantespuram, Nagaram and Bhandarpadar villages. Chief Minister Vishnu Deo Sai hailed security forces and said the era of peace and progress has returned to the Bastar region, which includes Sukma.

Security forces set up new camp in Chhattisgarh's Maoist stronghold

Security forces set up new camp in Chhattisgarh's Maoist stronghold

Rediff.com23 Nov 2025

Security forces have established a new camp in the Karregutta Hills along the Chhattisgarh-Telangana border, a former Naxal stronghold, following a major anti-Naxal operation.

Top Maoist leader Basavaraju's killing major setback for outfit

Top Maoist leader Basavaraju's killing major setback for outfit

Rediff.com21 May 2025

The killing of CPI-Maoist general secretary Nambala Keshav Rao alias Basavaraju, the topmost leader by security forces in Chhattisgarh, is a major setback for the banned outfit. Basavaraju, who was on the most wanted list of the NIA, was among the 27 dreaded Naxals killed by security forces in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region. The Telangana Police official said that the killing will be a demoralising factor for the Maoists. The official pointed out that the Maoists are already demoralised and hundreds of their cadres have surrendered before Telangana police besides many being arrested.

Chhattisgarh sees largest Maoist surrender; 210 rebels give up arms

Chhattisgarh sees largest Maoist surrender; 210 rebels give up arms

Rediff.com18 Oct 2025

210 Maoist cadres, including a Central Committee member, surrendered to authorities in Chhattisgarh's Jagdalpur, marking the "largest mass surrender" in the state's anti-Naxal operations. The surrendered Naxalites carried a collective bounty of Rs 9.18 crore and handed over 153 weapons. Chief Minister Vishnu Deo Sai hailed the development as a historic moment for Chhattisgarh and the nation.

3 Maoists carrying Rs 14 lakh bounty killed in Chhattisgarh encounter

3 Maoists carrying Rs 14 lakh bounty killed in Chhattisgarh encounter

Rediff.com28 Sep 2025

Bodies of three Maoists, including a woman cadre, were recovered from the site, along with a self-loading rifle (SLR), a .303 rifle, a 12-bore gun and other Naxalite-related materials, the SP said.

4 Maoists, cop killed in Chhattisgarh encounter; AK-47, SLR recovered

4 Maoists, cop killed in Chhattisgarh encounter; AK-47, SLR recovered

Rediff.com5 Jan 2025

Four Naxalites were killed in an encounter with security forces in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region. A head constable of the District Reserve Guard (DRG) was also killed in the face-off.

Chhattisgarh deputy CM to take surrendered Maoists to state assembly

Chhattisgarh deputy CM to take surrendered Maoists to state assembly

Rediff.com23 Nov 2025

Chhattisgarh Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Sharma met surrendered Naxalites at a rehabilitation center in Sukma, offering them a visit to the state assembly and directing officials to improve their living conditions and opportunities.

17 Naxal-hit villages get electricity for the first time

17 Naxal-hit villages get electricity for the first time

Rediff.com16 May 2025

Seventeen villages nestled among nearly inaccessible mountains and dense forests in Naxal-hit Mohla-Manpur-Ambagarh Chowki district of Chhattisgarh have got electricity from the supply grid for the first time, officials said on Friday.

Jan 6 IED blast kingpin also killed in Chhattisgarh encounter

Jan 6 IED blast kingpin also killed in Chhattisgarh encounter

Rediff.com13 Feb 2025

The 31 ultras killed in the February 9 encounter in Bijapur in Chhattisgarh included the mastermind of the January 6 IED blast in which eight security personnel and a civilian lost their lives and several other deadly attacks, a police official said. Among the 31 ultras killed in the encounter was Hunga Karma, who was secretary of the west Bastar division of the outlawed Communist Party of India (Maoist) and carried a reward of Rs 8 lakh on his head. He was the mastermind of the January 6 attack on security personnel. Karma also masterminded the 2006 Murkinar camp attack in which 11 police personnel were killed as well as the 2007 Ranibodli camp attack in which 55 security personnel were killed. Of the 31 killed ultras, 28, including 17 men and 11 women, have been identified and they carried a cumulative reward of Rs 1.10 crore on their heads. Out of the 81 Naxalites gunned down in the state so far this year, 65 were killed in the Bastar division, which comprises Bijapur and six other districts. So far this year, 77 firearms, including two AK-47 rifles, five Self Loading Rifles (SLR) and two INSAS rifles and three.303 rifles, have been recovered following separate encounters in Bastar region, the IG informed.

Collector abduction: Anti-Naxal ops in Bastar suspended

Collector abduction: Anti-Naxal ops in Bastar suspended

Rediff.com23 Apr 2012

The anti-Naxal operation in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region has been suspended in the wake of abduction of Sukma district collector Alex Paul Menon.

Security forces deny Maoist claim of aerial attack in Bastar

Security forces deny Maoist claim of aerial attack in Bastar

Rediff.com12 Jan 2023

The Chhattisgarh police, however, said the claim seemed to be an attempt to mislead the local population, and the security forces never compromise on the safety of the local people during their operations.

11 women among 31 Naxals gunned down in Chhattisgarh

11 women among 31 Naxals gunned down in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com10 Feb 2025

In one of the deadliest blows to Naxalites in Chhattisgarh, security forces on Sunday gunned down 31 rebels, including 11 women, in a fierce encounter in the state's Bijapur district, police said.

'Forces struck jungles when Naxals were busy in tactical meeting''

'Forces struck jungles when Naxals were busy in tactical meeting''

Rediff.com21 Mar 2025

Security forces killed at least 26 Naxalites in a fierce exchange in Bijapur district of Chhattisgarh, while four more were gunned down in Kanker district, the state's Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Sharma said on Friday. The encounter, which occurred on Thursday, took place while the Naxalites were gathered for a Tactical Counter Offensive Campaign (TCOC) meeting, a period observed between March and June. The Deputy CM hailed the operation as a major achievement against the Naxals.

CRPF sets up new base in Chhattisgarh's Maoist stronghold

CRPF sets up new base in Chhattisgarh's Maoist stronghold

Rediff.com16 Feb 2025

The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has established a new forward operating base in the Bijapur district of Chhattisgarh, a region known for its strong Maoist presence. The base, located in a remote area surrounded by hills and known Maoist training camps, aims to expand the CRPF's presence in the region and counter the influence of Maoist insurgents. This is the 13th such base established in recent years as part of the government's plan to eliminate Left Wing Extremism by 2026.

Chhattisgarh Maoist encounter toll rises to 31 as 3 more bodies recovered

Chhattisgarh Maoist encounter toll rises to 31 as 3 more bodies recovered

Rediff.com5 Oct 2024

With this, the number of Maoists killed in the gun battle with the security personnel on Friday has risen to 31, they said, adding that a search operation is still underway in the area.

Maoists blame surrendered cadres for Basavaraju's killing

Maoists blame surrendered cadres for Basavaraju's killing

Rediff.com27 May 2025

Maoists have admitted that 28 cadres, including their top leader Basavaraju, were killed in an encounter with security forces in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region last week. The Naxals also claimed that some of their cadres had surrendered to police and provided information that led to the operation. Police have recovered a large cache of weapons, including an AK-47 looted by Basavaraju from security forces in a 2010 ambush.

Chhattisgarh: 10 Naxalites killed in major encounter

Chhattisgarh: 10 Naxalites killed in major encounter

Rediff.com3 Apr 2024

In a separate incident, a commando of the Central Reserve Police Force's jungle warfare unit CoBRA was injured when a pressure improvised explosive device (IED), planted by Naxalites went off in the district, police said.

'Depleted' Maoists calls for ceasefire but with conditions

'Depleted' Maoists calls for ceasefire but with conditions

Rediff.com2 Apr 2025

Chhattisgarh Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Sharma has reiterated the state government's willingness to engage in unconditional peace talks with Naxalites, following a statement by the Maoist group outlining preconditions for a ceasefire. Sharma, who holds the home portfolio, stated that the government has already made its stance on unconditional talks clear and has implemented a surrender and rehabilitation policy for Naxal cadres. He criticized the Maoists' demands as unreasonable and emphasized the importance of ending violence and joining the national mainstream. Sharma also called on the Naxalites to send a representative if they are serious about peace talks, but ruled out the formation of a separate committee for negotiations. The Maoist statement, released in Telugu, highlighted the group's concerns regarding intensified counter-insurgency operations and alleged human rights violations. They appealed for a positive atmosphere for peace talks, calling for a halt to anti-Naxal operations and the establishment of new security camps.

8 DRG jawans among 9 killed as Maoists blow up vehicle in Chhattisgarh

8 DRG jawans among 9 killed as Maoists blow up vehicle in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com6 Jan 2025

Eight District Reserve Guards (DRG) jawans and a civilian driver were killed in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district when Naxals detonated an improvised explosive device targeting their vehicle. The incident occurred near Ambeli village while the security personnel were returning from an anti-Naxalite operation. This is the biggest Naxal attack on security forces in the region in the past two years.

Chhattisgarh Turns Maoist Hotspots Into Tourist Hubs

Chhattisgarh Turns Maoist Hotspots Into Tourist Hubs

Rediff.com16 Jun 2025

The two priority regions for the Chhattisgarh government to promote its homestay policy are Surguja and Bastar.

Bastar: The Naxal Story Review: Bizarre

Bastar: The Naxal Story Review: Bizarre

Rediff.com15 Mar 2024

The Naxal movement has such a complex history that several books have been written to understand it. Bastar: The Naxal Story seeks to reduce it to bullet points and stereotypes, observes Deepa Gahlot.

29 Maoists slain in Chhattisgarh's biggest ever encounter

29 Maoists slain in Chhattisgarh's biggest ever encounter

Rediff.com16 Apr 2024

Three security personnel suffered injuries in the fierce gun-battle and a large quantity of weapons was also recovered from the spot, the state police said.

Naxal blackout: Water rationing in Bastar

Naxal blackout: Water rationing in Bastar

Rediff.com4 Jun 2007

A change in Maoist strategy by targetting vital installations like high tension transmission lines has added to the woes of Bastar tribals, who were trapped in the hostilities between the ultras and the security forces.

30 Maoists, cop killed in 2 encounters in Chhattisgarh; toll 113 in 2025

30 Maoists, cop killed in 2 encounters in Chhattisgarh; toll 113 in 2025

Rediff.com20 Mar 2025

In a fresh offensive against Naxals, security forces killed at least 30 members of the banned CPI-Maoists in two separate encounters in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region on Thursday, officials said.

Maoists murder suspected police informer in Dantewada

Maoists murder suspected police informer in Dantewada

Rediff.com5 Feb 2025

A 30-year-old man was hacked to death by Naxalites in Chhattisgarh's Dantewada district on the suspicion of being a police informer. The incident comes close on the heels of the murder of two men, one of them a former Naxalite, in neighbouring Bijapur district two days ago. The two were killed by Naxalites, as per the police. Earlier on January 26, Naxalites killed a 41-year-old man in Bhairamgarh area of Bijapur, accusing him of being an informer. On January 16, Naxalites killed a 48-year-old man in Mirtur area of Bijapur for the same reason.